Tuesday, June 18, 2013

The Drop Off

In the summer of 2006, I went to Once Upon A Child (a used clothing/toys, etc) store for children.  I was turning in old baby and girlie girl clothes.  After I turned in the items, I roamed around with a nutty 4 year old and my bulky stroller with baby Kev.  Near the toys was a mom telling her little girl she couldn't have the Little People set because they were there to spend money on clothes, not toys.  Busy body ol' me, jumped in and told her that I had a ton of clothes at home for her 2 year old daughter.  To make a long story short, we exchanged phone numbers and e-mail, and about a week later, I came over with a ton of clothes for Claire.  Play date followed.

Since then, she moved out of Michigan, and clearly we did too.  We've always sent Christmas cards, and have been facebook friends too, although I haven't seen her since the day I dropped off the clothes. Well, I did see her on America's Funniest Home Videos, but that doesn't count.....

Today, I saw her Daddy passed away.  I melted.  A man I never knew, the dad to a woman I hardly know.  I don't know why I got all mushy about it.  I guess I realized that I'd never be able to support her, if I never overheard her telling Claire about needing clothes, rather than toys.  It's really the little things that lead to bigger and more meaningful things in life.


No comments: