I am kind of opening myself up a wee bit by posting this, but I will anyway. This post comes a day after a facebook posting that said, "The feeling of the church being mad at me isn't comforting. OOPS!" The reason for that posting you ask?!?! Well, Juliana is in Faith Formation (aka Catholic sunday school) for her First Communion in May. Apparently, last wednesday she was supposed to made the Sacrament of Reconciliation. HUH? I had nooooo idea. Don't get me wrong, I knew that the sacrament was occurring, I just thought it was for 4th graders, not those preparing for first communion. I did my first communion in 2nd grade and reconciliation in 4th grade. Needless to say, we were not in attendance on wednesday. Sooooo, yesterday I get a phone call from the Faith Formation leader telling me I need to be more responsible for my actions as a Catholic and as a parent. She mixed in niceness with complete rudeness. It really bothers me. The end result is that Juliana is making her Sacrament of Reconciliation on sunday with the older children. I'm mixed about this whole thing.
I feel like I am the only one in this world that doesn't run to God for the good, the bad, or the ugly. Yes, my children are being raised Catholic, yes they "know" God, I just don't know how to make him a part of my life. Honestly, I do not really care either. Is that horrible? (That is a rhetorical question, so don't answer it!) I often wonder if cattle or ladybugs have religious experiences. Do they pray? Where do they go on sundays? Where is their Bible? Are they working on going to Heaven too? Just curious. Humans are the only species that practice a religious experience. I just do not get it. I want to get it, but I don't.
Do not get me going on the social aspects of religion. That part of it reeeeeally gets my blood boiling!
1 comment:
We're raising the boys Catholic too, and I feel a lot of what you're saying.
Post a Comment