Sunday, April 27, 2008

Surprise Birthday



Today we surprised Nana Marie for her birthday. Tomorrow is her actual birthday, but tomorrow just could not work out for us. Nana Marie had no idea that we were coming over, she only thought Mom was going to be there. The look on her face was priceless! We brought her balloons, a yummy chocolate cake, candles to blow out, and of course, Juliana and Kevin's chaos too. This little venture was actually mom's idea, so she was there too. I actually think Mom was planning on visiting alone, until I suggested that we crash the party of two old ladies. Haaaa, kidding!

The afternoon was perfect for Nana Marie! That is exactly what I was hoping for today. Unfortunately Nana Marie will be at the cemetary all day tomorrow visiting Danny, as she does on all of the birthdays since it marks the anniversary of his death. She has not had many birthdays in recent memory that she can laugh, giggle, and smile and forget about the not-so-good memories. It is so wonderful to see Juliana and Kevin making memories with Nana Marie. Not just memories full of boring visits, but fun memories of hugging and playing together. I LOVE IT! Even though I know Nana Marie will not read this message, I'll close with, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! WE LOVE YOU!

If there is anyone confused and thinking, "who in the world is Nana Marie?", here is your introduction. Marie is my "Aunt Marie". She was married to my dad's brother Don, "Uncle Don". Because Marie would never have grandchildren of her own, and since Juliana was a teeny baby when Uncle Don passed away, we made the decision that our children would call her "Nana Marie" to make her feel more like a grandmother, rather than only an aunt. Strangely enough, I think the silly name Nana Marie has made her feel closer to the kids, and vice versa. It is a wonderful relationship to witness.

No comments: