Friday, May 14, 2010

Back on track

Ok, so without giving too many details via the internet, I'll fill you in on the case in which I have been sitting as a juror. The person on trial was accused of bringing a firearm to a birthday party. The firearm wasn't just a regular ol' handheld firearm, it was rather large to say the least. The gist of the case was that one person saw the defendant with the firearm, alerted the authorities, person discarded the firearm, firearm was recovered, and the rest is history. Since it was only one person that witnessed the event, and that person lost track of the person with the firearm for about 20 seconds, there was reasonable doubt that the same person arrested was the same person with the firearm. (That's just a brief synopsis, certainly not the whole story.)

I was one of three on the jury that completely thought the DA proved the case. I still believe he proved the case. Unfortunately the law states that if there are two possible scenarios, and one leading to innocence, you must go with not guilty as the verdict. So, after 5 hours of deliberations, we did just that, not guilty.

I will not give exact details, even though I am able, but the reason why I was so emotional was because I know (and so does everyone else), that this person did IT. There was just a 20 second gap in time that the witness lost track of the person, which did not make it an open/shut case. I also was emotional because the event took place at a place where my children have been, and where I will probably continue to bring my children... although, I won't bring them there for a loooooooong time. This place is a place where families flock every day of the week. It's just a scary world out there. I hope this person is able to get back on track, whether he/she truly is guilty or not guilty. The verdict really does not matter anymore, I just hope the best for this person. I really truly do.

I can not wait to get back on track with our daily routine. Ughhh, it has not been easy at all.

2 comments:

carole said...

I hope you can help me. I'm trying to get in touch with Susie - from the blog - MissingCooper. I thought that I had put in a request to be added to her blog, as she was going private with it. Undoubtedly I did not, cause now I can't see her blog. I've been following her blog since before she had Cooper. Is there anyway you can get in touch with her? She had mentioned you are a friend of hers. Appreciate it. Thanks, and blessings.

Suzie said...

Carole,

This is Suzie, if you would like to be added, please send me your email address to ctails019@yahoo.com Sorry if you asked and I didn't get you added. Was not intentional. Have a great weekend.

Suzie
Cooper's Momma!

And K, Thanks for being my BBFF! LOL :o)