There are many things that I imagined a teacher telling me about my children. You know what I mean, that dreaded "talk" about your child misbehaving and being totally embarrassed. It left me breathless. What do I say? "You know it's not ok to hug anyone" in a stern voice? No. "No more hugging. Hugging is not ok to do." No. "I'm going to take away your toys if you hug again!" No.
I left school baffled about what to do or say to my 6 year old. I can totally understand that excessive hugging would be completely annoying to a teacher. I know that isn't the case. After all, we all know she adored (and still does) her Kindergarten teacher, and excessive hugging was never an issue, so why now? I have talked to Juliana about hugging the "right" people at the "right" times, although I guess I was wrong to assume a teacher is fair game.
The end result... I told Juliana to not hug her teacher anymore, even though she was given a 4 hug quota for the day at specific times. If she really needs a hug, she can visit Kindergarten at the end of the day for a teacher hug. I am not sure if I am mad, hurt, frustrated, or the opposite, totally understanding of this request of not hugging. Like I said, I get it to a point, I guess it is the bigger picture that I do not understand. As soon as I figure out the bigger picture, I'll let you know.
The thought that is consuming me the most after this conversation after school is... the world needs more hugs and huggers... don't we?
The icing on the cake was when I walked in to Juliana's room this morning to get her up for the day. She was on her bed with her notebook. I asked her what she was doing. "I'm writing to Mrs. _________ to say sorry for hugging her."
2 comments:
Are you serious in Kinder? What was the teacher thinking? I do not agree with her at all. J us a loving child and if she wants to hug, what is the problem with that? Some people! Thank for commenting!!!
~Elyse~
wow.... i can't believe the teacher said that. and what broke my heart was juliana's note to her. thats awful! i agree.... to few hugs and huggers in this world.
Post a Comment