Juliana and I went out for donuts this morning since Daddy was home with Kevin. She reminded me that today was Great-Grandma's birthday and she wanted to know if we were going to her party in Heaven. Haaaaaa! Yes, I did chuckle at that comment and not cry. She said, "All we have to do is go to Home Depot to get a ladder big enough to go to Heaven." She said it with the sassy and confident voice that simply states that she knows more than me. Almost immediately after that comment, she said she wanted to get balloons to send up to Heaven since they will get up there faster than if we were to climb a ladder. I AGREED! After we got to the store, I could not bring myself to buy balloons, especially since Juliana only wanted to buy Great-Grandma a huge Easter rainbow balloon. Ohhhhh geeze! When I got home after dropping Juliana off at school, I told Jason all about what happened this morning. He strongly suggested that we not get balloons since they will probably land in the ocean and "choke a whale or something". He said we should just go out for Grandma's favorite dessert, Root Beer Floats. So, that will be our outing tonight in celebration of Grandma.
(Juliana and Great-Grandma-- according to nurses, Uncle Don and Aunt Marie, this was one of the only days that Grandma communicated through smiling and blinking since her stroke 2 months earlier. I remember asking Grandma while she was holding Juliana if she was proud of me. She smiled, and gave a long blink with a tear coming out of her right eye. She smiled again as I wiped the tear from her eye. A moment I'll never forget. This picture was taken as I was ready to leave the room. The last time I ever saw Grandma. We headed home to Massachusetts the next day.)
Boy, I feel so much better! Last, but not least, thanks Martine for your last comment. Hugs....
**************
I am actually writing this section of the entry hours after what is written above this. After I found out my jury duty had been called off, I mustered up the courage to take Kevin to "visit" Grandma for her birthday. I am sooooo glad I did. When we got there, I was sad, although not like I thought I would be. Since I thought we were the only people around, Kevin and I started singing "Happy Birthday" quietly. I found out quickly that we were not the only visitors, since I heard giggling somewhere. I never saw anyone, but the place is enormous, so who knows. The giggling continued when we left and Kevin started blowing kisses. He is not quiet about blowing kisses. You hear, "MUAAAAHHHHHH" very loud! As you can see in the photo, Kevin even took time to smell the yellow daisies. Ahhhh, so cute! I am glad we went, and I actually feel much better.
No comments:
Post a Comment